Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It's Bracket Time Again

It's now time to fill out those NCCA tournament brackets and get your annual office pool together again. March Maddess is about to start. People all around the country are now studying each game closely, looking for the cinderella team that they can ride to the top. The most important part of filling out a successful bracket, though, is picking the Final 4 correctly. Getting the Final 4 correct gives you major points in the standings against your opponents. Obviously, it helps to pick the winner of the National Championship correctly, but the Final 4 is were your run for the gold can start.

This years bracket has four very strong number 1 seeds. It is very possible that all four 1 seeds could make it to the Final 4, but upsets always happen. The 1 seeds that I could see losing before the Final 4 is Memphis. Memphis is a very solid team, but they might have the toughest 2 seed in their bracket in Texas. Texas plays teams very tough, and if they are able to keep it close, they could beat Memphis. Memphis is a deep and experienced squad, but they are poor free-throw shooters, and that could be their downfall in the tournament.

The number 1 seed that I don't have in my Final 4 is North Carolina. In my opinion, they have the toughest route to the Final 4 of the 1 seeds. In the second round they could face an Indiana team with one of the best freshman in the country, in Eric Gordon, on it. Then they would have to face Washington State or Notre Dame, followed by Louisville or Tennessee most likely. The team that I believe will be their downfall is Louisville. Louisville is maybe the best defensive team in the country and has one of the best coaches in Rick Petino.

My Final 4 is Louisville/Kansas and Memphis/UCLA. My National Champion pick was a tough decision between the winner of the Memphis/UCLA game. UCLA plays great team basketball, and Memphis has the star in Derrick Rose to win it all. In the end I choose Memphis as my National Champion to help me win my bracket pool.

No comments: